Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Turtle food

I have three beautiful box turtles.  Each of them came from a bad situation and I hope that we provide at least an adequate existence for them.  
My first turtle Magnolia was hit by a car back in NJ.  She came to me from a friend who does animal rescue who with the help of her vet husband put maggie back together and rehabbed her.  She lost most of a hind leg and a few toes and had s
ome damage to her shell.  So to the missing limb she sometimes gets stuck places so she could not be rereleased.  She is a Eastern box turtle

Salvia and Saffron came to me a little over a year ago from a woman local here in Santa Cruz who unofficially rescues pet turtles.  She had something like 20 box turtles that needed homes.  I was only going to adopt one, but came home with two.  They were pets, probably wild caught and sold into the pet market- they are older/ adults.  Saffron has scars from a dog bite and a hole in his shell that someone drilled to probably chain him up.  I think he was found after escaping.  

In the warmer months I keep Salvia and Saffron outside all day and Magnolia visits during the warmer hours of the day.  They hunt for snails, slugs, and pill bugs and I supplement them with fantastic organic veggies and fruit with occasional protein.

I spend more time everyday feeding the turtles than I do my 4 other pets (dogs and cats).  They are in for the winter so it takes time in addition to making their food to clean and make sure their heat and humidity are good.

Since I prepare food everyday for them- even when I'm not cooking for my family, I thought I would share some of the things they like to eat:

fried eggs and egg shell
melons
lettuce mix
fresh strawberries and tomatoes (store bought not as interesting turns out!)
grated squash
blueberries
kale
mango

No comments: