Monday, November 24, 2008

San Fran Part II- Maggie Mudd!

So to celebrate my soy intake I went to San Fran to see my awesome friend Margy who was in town for a conference.  And.... I finally made it to Maggie Mudd!
I can't tell you how much I love living (eating) on the west coast- where you can go out to an ice cream shop and the people know what a vegan is.  So many vegan options in this town.  


After my trip to maggie mudd where all I wanted in the world was a vegan brownie sundae (yes they have them, but no they are not wheat/gluten free).  So I came home with a mission.  And with a love of awesome dessert mixes (thank you Betty Crocker for all the good days when I was a young omnivore) I tried a gluten free brownie mix with a little ice cream, homemade chocolate sauce, and whip cream.

I have to say- the mix was pretty good.  I have a slight aversion to rice flour- it always tastes so grainy.  But all the chocolate-y goodness worked well with it.  It baked really well, with slightly gooey center (probably due to a terrible oven) and the result- moist, rich brownies.   I topped it off with some bomb ice cream- Purely Decadent Coconut Milk Cookie Dough and Cherry Nirvana- Ohhhh- it was good!

I added a little homemade Chocolate Sauce and some vegan whipped cream (always better when it comes out of a pressurized can).  I would offer the chocolate sauce recipe, but I have never measured anything, well- it goes something like this:

vegan chocolate sauce:

Heat 2 tbsp margarine, add a couple handfuls of sugar, mix until melted, add a splash of vanilla, and some soy milk (maybe 1/2 cup??), once good and hot add cocoa (I dump it until it looks like it will thicken), and stir until it begins to get thick and delicious looking- if you want it fudgey, heat and mix adding soymilk when you need liquid until the sauce is no longer shiny (thank you grandma millie).


mmm....



No comments: